Friday, May 4, 2012

{TGIM} Faux Furniture

Another week, another Monday. I hope you all had a very Happy Mother's Day! I am so excited to present to you this week's truly great idea. In my opinion, it truly is a great idea; definitely one I am gonna have to try soon!

I love for a bed to look clean and crisp. We have an upholstered platform bed that we bought about 3 years ago. I wasn't sure how I would feel about having no bed skirt and tucking my bedding under the mattress and all. Well, I LOVE it! I love the clean lines it creates, as well as the modern look. This week's truly great idea offers a twist on a bedskirt: a faux bed! Sarah Richardson, a Canadian designer and television host, offered up the brilliant idea of putting furniture feet on a box springs and upholstering it!! YES! I said it. Take a look...



I love how both box springs look like a piece of furniture! The projects cost around $50 for fabric and feet. (Depending on how expensive the fabric, of course.) Furniture feet are available at most home project stores, such as The Home Depot or Lowe's. Sand them, prime them, and then paint them...




Here's the step-by-step to this cute little trick: (As told by Rachel of Urban Nest)



1.) Start with a long strip of fabric that will fit around the box spring (you will probably have to sew 2-3 pieces of fabric together to get the right length). To determine the width of the strip of  fabric, add 7 to 8 inches to the depth of the mattress. Finish the top and bottom edges with a zigzag stitch to prevent unraveling. Wrap the fabric around the box spring to determine the exact length and pin to mark where you'll sew the two ends together.

2.) After you have sewn the two ends together, stretch the fabric over the box spring leaving 4 inches to fold over the top of the box spring. Stitch the fabric to the top of the box spring to hold it in place. (You'll need to mitre the fabric at the corners.)

3.)Flip the box spring over and prepare to attach the fabric to the bottom side. In this case, I wanted to make sure the strips were level, and then I pinned it into place.

4.)  Staple the fabric to the bottom of the box spring, pulling it taut as you go.

5.) Trim the box spring padding to create a space to screw in the furniture foot. I attached 3 feet on each long side of the beds (6 total).

6.) Drill a hole that is slightly smaller than the width of the screw on the furniture foot.

7.) Cover the hole with the fabric, and use a pin to mark where the hole is.

8.) Cut a hole in the fabric for the screw to go through, and

9.) Screw in the foot.

10.) Repeat for the remaining 5 feet.  

Tip: If any of the feet are wobbly, remove the foot, squirt some wood glue in the hole, and reinsert the foot into the hole.

Happy Fauxing!!

-Amy-

1 comment:

  1. Amy, thanks for posting the directions in their entirety. Urbannestblog is no longer around, but this picture is all over Pinterest, so I was glad to find the instructions.

    ReplyDelete